Macarons are desserts that can be made in various flavors, especially we can make these raspberry macarons that are one of the most flavorful macarons ever.
Makes about 40 macarons
• Macaron Shells
• 1 1/2 cup ground almonds
• 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
• 5 tsp freeze-dried raspberries, finely ground with seeds removed
• 2 small egg whites
• pinch of red food coloring powder
• pinch of salt
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 38 ml water
• White Chocolate Raspberry Filling
• 5 oz fresh or frozen raspberries
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1/3 cup whipping cream
• 8 oz white chocolate, small pieces
Prepare white chocolate raspberry filling.
1. Place raspberries and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickens and remove from heat. Sieve to remove the seeds. Set aside.
2. Place the sieved raspberry jam, cream and chocolate in a small saucepan. Place over low heat to melt the chocolate. Add freeze dried raspberries and red food coloring if used. Transfer to a small bowl, let cool completely and refrigerate before using.
Prepare the macaron shells.
3. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and have a pastry bag with a plain tip about 1 cm ready. Preheat oven to 150C.
4. Grind together the powdered sugar with almond powder and freeze-dried raspberries, using a food processor, to obtain a fine powder.
5. In a small bowl place 55g egg whites and a pinch of red food coloring. Beat together until well combined.
6. In a small saucepan combine granulated sugar with water and place on medium heat.
7. Add the whipped whites over the almonds mixture and using a rubber or silicone spatula gently fold in until combined and smooth. Work the batter until it flows in very thick ribbons when the spatula is lifted.
8. Transfer the mixture to the piping bag fitted with a 1 cm plain tip.
9. Pipe the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheets in 2.5 cm circles, evenly spaced one-inch 2 cm apart.
10. Rap the baking sheet a few times firmly on the counter top to flatten the macarons and to remove air bubbles.
11. Bake for 20-24 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from baking sheet.
12. Place the raspberry and white chocolate filling into a piping bag and spread on the inside of the macarons and sandwich them together.
13. Refrigerate for at at least one day before serving, to meld the flavors.